[vorbis-dev] Audo quality problem

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Fri Feb 6 21:42:09 PST 2004

> > you're probably talking about, but I'd say "very audible artifacts" is
> > perhaps a little overstated.
>
> I was referring to the tests I did some while ago, with an earlier version
> of oggenc. I was probably not making that clear enough in my last mail.

Okay, good.  I knew my ears weren't perfect, but it was a little depressing
to think there might be someone out there with ears *that* much better than
mine.

As I said, your problem might be the known high frequency boost.  Doing ABX
testing of your samples, when I'd subtract the original from the compressed
version, the difference was a high frequency white noise, basically in
rhythm with the "instrument" you were complaining sounded different.

As you've read, Segher thinks he knows how to fix the HF boost issue.  If
that's in fact what you're hearing, and if he can fix it (or tell one of the
others how to), your problem is solved.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.