[vorbis-dev] Audo quality problem

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Wed Feb 4 11:05:06 PST 2004

> sounds/music, but certain pieces of synthesized music (specially techno)
> contained very audible artifacts even at high bitrates.

I listened to your samples, and couldn't ABX them even with my $150
headphones on.  By subtracting the WAVs from each other, I can hear what
you're probably talking about, but I'd say "very audible artifacts" is
perhaps a little overstated.

Secondly, for someone with golden ears like yourself, I wouldn't consider q5
to be "high bitrate".

If you're unhappy with Vorbis' performance on a particular track at a certain
bitrate, then keep encoding with higher bitrates until you can't hear the
difference.  You may be running into the known "treble boost" artifacts at
bitrates under q6 or 7.

It might be helpful if you could determin the lowest quality setting where
the problem (for you) goes away.  Say, within .5 or so.

You also might be interested in the Garf-tuned version, which gives higher
quality at some of the higher bitrates than stock oggenc does.  Search the
archives for a link.

That said, we are always looking for hard-to-encode samples to help us reduce
artifacts, and it may turn out that a slight modification can be made to
Vorbis to help reduce such artifacts for future versions.  I'll let any
developers address that.

Also, thank you for going to the trouble to put up FLACs containing just the
short sample where the artifacts occur, as well as descriptions for what
you're hearing.  It certainly makes your complaints easier to assess.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"Several tiers below the surface [of the human heart] is a pervasive,