[vorbis-dev] Audo quality problem

Simeon Maxein smaxein at freenet.de
Wed Feb 4 09:06:39 PST 2004

Hello.

First of all, thanx for that great codec. I would encode all my music with Ogg Vorbis in the future, if it hadn't been for some samples I encoded for test purposes: Everything was great as long a I used "natural" sounds/music, but certain pieces of synthesized music (specially techno) contained very audible artifacts even at high bitrates.

So I just went on using mp3 for synthesized music, until I recently read your FAQ (the point about reporting artifacts). Afterwards, I encoded my samples again with the latest release version (vorbis-tools 1.0.1 for Windows) and checked the output from both the winamp plugin and oggdec. The artifacts are still there. You can download the encoded and the original samples from people.freenet.de/chaossoft/vorbis/ to check my results.

Simeon Maxein