[Vorbis-dev] various patches from Mandrakelinux package

Frederik Himpe fhimpe
Tue Aug 3 00:22:08 PDT 2004

<200408021758.45888.fhimpe at telenet.be>
<200408031337.47283.msmith at xiph.org>

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 05:37, Michael Smith wrote:

> Uses the ieee754.h header unconditionally. Is this header present
> everywhere? Needs (at least) testing on linux (I assume you've done this
> :-) and windows (which you probably haven't).
>
> I'd guess it'd be easier to import the definitions from that header
> directly into the file, if it isn't a header you can rely on existing
> everywhere.
>
> Why is the patch needed? From the filename, I'm guessing it's something to
> do with aliasing rules. Was this actually causing problems in practice?
> Does this version still compile to efficient code (the whole reason for
> those functions was to be very fast) with (at least) gcc and msvc?

I am CC-ing Gwenole Beauchesne, the author of this patch, who will certainly
be able to answer these questions. I have only ported his patch to current
1.1 svn. I presume that this patch maybe makes it safe to use
-fstrict-aliasing.

Frederik