[vorbis-dev] thesis project dealing with Vorbis

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Sep 7 23:46:32 PDT 2003

On Monday 08 September 2003 16:38, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> This is a heads up to let you know of my plans to work on a senior
> thesis project dealing with editing Vorbis losslessly in Audacity.  You
> can find more information about my plans and what I'm up to here:
>
> http://www.reverberate.org/computers/thesis/
>
> "vcut" from vorbis-tools will be an excellent starting point for me.  I
> notice that it's marked "experimental"; why is this?  Are there
> important problems that need to be worked out before it will be
> reliable, or does it just need more testing and better handling of
> corner cases?
>
> Josh

Josh,

vcut is labelled as experimental because it's very buggy - the concept is
entirely sound, and the format features it relies on (which are corner-cases)
work fine, but the actual implementation has a lot of cases it just doesn't
handle (or handles incorrectly).

I wrote it primarily as a proof-of-concept, and also as a test tool to iron
out problems with those decoder features in libvorbis (I think it did catch
one), not really as a final useful tool. However, it should still be a useful
starting point for your purposes. Feel free to ask me more questions about it
if there are any parts that are unclear (probably "most of it" :-)

Mike