[vorbis-dev] win32sdk-1.0.1

John Edwards john.edwards33 at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 23 09:19:37 PDT 2003

On Thursday, October 23, 2003 3:58 PM Jack Moffitt wrote:

Subject: Re: [vorbis-dev] win32sdk-1.0.1

> this problem, or do I have it the opposite way?  Ie, linking in the
> runtime would prevent this problem.

I confess I don't recall, but what I've built so far has been dynamically
linked.

> I still don't see how other sdks seem to pull this off without problems,
> although maybe they just statically link the runtime.

As Dimitry Andric wrote, the required dlls are simply shipped and installed
without so much as a 'by your leave'!!

> Btw, we don't statically link it because of size issues.

Quick comparison (VC6):
                     Dynamic Link              Static link
ogg.dll              24kb                            56kb
vorbis.dll          148kb                          212kb
vorbisenc.dll     860kb                          900kb
vorbisfile.dll      36kb                            84kb

Certainly larger when statically linked, but is an extra 184kb that
significant in this day and age?

John