[vorbis-dev] win32sdk-1.0.1

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Oct 22 05:08:12 PDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:05:45PM +0100, John Edwards wrote:

> Well, I've recompiled the vorbis dlls without vorbisenc.c and they function
> correctly when used with CDex which is the only app I have to test against.
> CDex is, however, a pretty good test vehicle for the dlls.

Thanks! I've removed it from the project file in cvs. Given the similar
confusion in the .def file, it was probably just an oversight.

> I've recompiled and reassembled the SDKs, VC6 and VC7, incorporating the
> latest doc changes. They can be d/led from:
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/OggVorbis-win32sdk-1.0.1.zip
> and
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/OggVorbis-win32sdkVC7-1.0.1.zip

Ok. Another question: how much do you need to tweak the imported VC6
project files to get good VC7 builds?

Our current thinking is that our user communities are split between VC6
and VC7 users, so as we've said we'd like to support both. It seems like
the only reasonable way to do that is to ship a source-based SDK.
Obviously one set of project files would be better than two, and because
there's no way to go back after import, they should be VC6. So is it
possible to generate VC6 project files that work perfectly in VC7, or
can the changes be reduced to something that would fit in a Readme.txt?

It probably still makes sense to ship binaries for one or two common
cases, but if we do we'll plaster them with warnings.

In continuing cluelessness,
 -r