[vorbis-dev] New entropy coder

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Fri Oct 10 13:11:36 PDT 2003

On Fri 10 October 2003 22:26, Yann Guidon wrote:
> hi !
>
> Eduardo Enrique González Rodríguez wrote:
> >Hello, I am a computer engineering student and compression
> > hobbyst and have recently developed a new entropy coding
> > algorithm. It  can be used to achieve compression proper of
> > arithmetic coders at very high speeds -almost like Huffman
> > codecs-.
> >
> >        Since it could be of interest to you, I send it as an
> > attachment -code and technical report-. Please, drop me a line
> > in case you have any doubt or suggestion.
> >
> >        Regards, Eduardo Enrique González Rodríguez.
>
> oh, i get it now :-)
>
> you just proposed this to comp.compression a few days ago.
> i haven't looked at it closely yet but it seemed like there
> is some potential use. i'm still new to Vorbis, so i can't say,
> but i'm in the same "wagon" as you, that is : playing with
> entropy coders. i'm writing a few articles about that now.
> Consider doing this in your local journal as well.

One point to consider is the patent status of your ideas. Arithmetic
coders are not used in the current standard because of this. And
since software patents are usually rather broad, your algorithm may
also fall under these patents. Ofcourse, not having looked at
either your algorithm or the patent claims, I can't say if this is
the case, but I figured you'd want to keep it in mind.

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key