[vorbis-dev] RFC3533

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Mon May 26 15:11:16 PDT 2003

Hi John,

> Portables always use the least amount of clocks possible to get
> the job done because it saves battery. Battery drain is linear with the
> number of clocks executed as a rule of thumb.

Okay, that makes sense to me.

> As I can't see any practical use for it on a portable, ...

Neither can I, but are portables all anyone every wants to
use Ogg for?

> I'm really against the concept of discovering codecs during playback. It
> makes it very hard to do seamless playback (even on a modern PC if you
> want low latency audio), and has user experience problems for the case
> where you suddenly find out you need a codec you don't support.
> It's nice to have all the codecs specified at the start because you can
> immediately reject files just by scanning the header. So, a PC can
> reject downloading a file to a portable without scanning the whole file.
> If it does make its way onto the portable, the user is told about
> incompatability as soon as the track is selected.

This all makes perfect sense in the application of which
you're talking.  But, again, doesn't this place the restriction
squarely in the domain of the application, not the wrapper?

> Is there any reason you wouldn't prefer to specify every possible codec
> at the start of the entire stream?

I'm not sure whether a "codec" refers to the protocol used to
encode (e.g., Vorbis), or to each specific encoding using it
(i.e., logical bitstream).  Perhaps you could clarify that
for me.

However, I didn't see a way of specifying encoding the
protocols present independantly of a specific logical stream.
(Would inserting a null logical stream for each protocol at
the start do it?)  If there is, then I have no reason for not
specifying them all up front.  But that still doesn't allow
me to arbitrarily start new streams mid-flight.