[vorbis-dev] RFC3533

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Mon May 26 08:43:13 PDT 2003

Hello John,

Monday, May 26, 2003, 12:32:30 PM, you wrote:
John> v7022 at wave.co.nz wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 10:35 am, Arc wrote:
John> I'm really against the concept of discovering codecs during playback. It
John> makes it very hard to do seamless playback (even on a modern PC if you
John> want low latency audio), and has user experience problems for the case
John> where you suddenly find out you need a codec you don't support. It also
John> requires buffering for the worst case codec load time (which you also
John> can't predict because they're specified on-the-fly...)

I truly think that the problem here cames from mixing up the vorbis I
specification and the Ogg encapsulation format. Since vorbis I uses a
degenarate Ogg encapsulation without multiplexing, there's simply no
problem of allowing or not allowing new streams be started without
finishing the previous ones.
So I think it has been stated before that Monty is thinking about
loosening that restriction in the near future, since it can be
implemented at the encapsulation user level (i.e. Vorbis, Theora,
etc.).

--
Best regards,
 Alejandro Belluscio