[vorbis-dev] RFC3533

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Mon May 26 09:06:18 PDT 2003

On Mon 26 May 2003 06:34, v7022 at wave.co.nz wrote:

> As I mentioned to Sylvia, without thinking too hard, I can see a
> number of applications for which Ogg would be ideal but this
> restriction disqualifies it.  For example, several years ago I
> worked on a specification which included carrying VHF radio
> traffic and equipment commands.  Speex and ASN.1 wrapped together
> in an Ogg bitstream would have been ideal for this (had it then
> existed) with Speex carrying the voice as one stream per
> transmission multiplexed across multiple frequencies, and ASN.1
> carrying the commands with one stream per device/controller pair.
> But... all transmissions don't start at the same time, and you
> can't predict how many there will be at any given time during the
> life of a long-lived Ogg bitstream; and device/controller pairs
> change over a 24 hour cycle.

[delurk]

I don't see why you would want to put it all into one Ogg stream. If
you have different transmissions that are totally independent, why
not just use one Ogg stream for each transmission? As far as I
understand a single Ogg stream holds related and synchronised codec
streams, ie video and matching audio. It's a multimedia delivery
format, not a generic multiplexer. I don't see how it would become
a better multimedia delivery format by being a generic multiplexer.
Maybe Ogg is just the wrong tool for the job, not just on a
technical level, but on a conceptual level.

My 2 cents.

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key