[vorbis-dev] RFC3533

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Mon May 26 14:46:45 PDT 2003

Hi Lourens,

> I don't see why you would want to put it all into one Ogg stream. If
> you have different transmissions that are totally independent, why
> not just use one Ogg stream for each transmission?

Because then I just move from multiplexing the individual
logical bitstreams into one physical bit stream using Ogg
to having to multiplex the individual Ogg physical bitstreams
together using my own protocol.  So the Ogg wrapper then becomes
a pointless additional layer and I still end up having to use
my own protocol.

> As far as I
> understand a single Ogg stream holds related and synchronised codec
> streams, ie video and matching audio. It's a multimedia delivery
> format, not a generic multiplexer.

But with the lifting of this restriction it could become much
more than that.  It would be cleaner and more versatile.

> I don't see how it would become
> a better multimedia delivery format by being a generic multiplexer.

You're right, it wouldn't.  But neither would it hurt it by moving
the restriction to the client codec.  I agree that there are good
reasons for the restriction being there, I just don't believe the
wrapper is the the right level for it.

> Maybe Ogg is just the wrong tool for the job, not just on a
> technical level, but on a conceptual level.

As it stands, it is, and therefore won't be used.  But it could
easily be made the right tool for the job.