[vorbis-dev] I've pulled the plug on viewcvs

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Mar 21 20:56:07 PST 2003

While trying to get other work done on Motherfish-II, I couldn't help
but notice that machine load was over *200*, due entirely to the
viewCVS CGI.  Either we were being DoSed via the cgi, or it's too
inefficient to even think about using.

Motherfish is a server intended for *core services only*.  We've been
steadily forgetting that.  Core services include CVS, mail and web.
They include precious little else (I'm on the fence about IRC; it's
core to our operation, but also the service most likely to get us
attacked by kiddiez, and trelane is generally all too eager to pick
fights).

We've been having too much toe-stepping-onning recently and motherfish
is regularly stretching past its limits.

Note that core includes CVS, but not every cute web-front end for
viewing it.  viewcvs has been removed from the server config.  I'm
close to punting cvsweb too on principle. Don't put it back without
discussing it with me first.

Monty