[vorbis-dev] ogg multithread encoding

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Jun 18 16:55:29 PDT 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 01:28, torque wrote:
> >Ehm, simply concatenate them together? Ofcourse you have some
> >overhead with the headers being repeated, but it will yield a valid
> >Ogg file...
>
> OK, it works:) Actually, it seems to be a vaild .ogg file. But what about
> those headers? In XMMS, Winamp etc. the time is not properly displayed. I
> think, that maybe I could leave only the first header (but I don't know
> exactly how many bytes is it) and update certain values in it somehow. What
> do you think about it?

You _could_ do this, but it's difficult. There are quite a few special cases
you'd need to get right. You should read the spec (ogg spec, and the relevant
bits on embedding into ogg and the headers of the vorbis spec) if you want to
do this.

You could also come to the realisation (as have other people who have looked
into doing this) that a parallel vorbis encoder really isn't that useful,
given the encoder speed relative to current (or even somewhat old) cpu
speeds.

Mike