[vorbis-dev] ogg multithread encoding

Rob D rddone at att.net
Thu Jun 19 05:15:33 PDT 2003

I dont see the benefit of a multi-threaded encoder on a single CPU. The CPU
usage would actually be worse than a single threaded app when you have
several threads fighting for access to different pieces of the same source
files and wouldnt be any faster.

On the other hand, coordinating several CPUs to decode a single file would
help, as the extra overhead of the encoders figthing over the disk for
source and output files would be offset by the extra available CPU power.

Unless all the CPUs are of comparative speed, some threads will finish
first, and have to wait, wasting CPU time.

I converted over 20000 mp3s into oggs, and with 14 computers at home, it is
much easier (and faster), to have the different speed computers just encode
separate files. It took less than a week.

Rob D