[vorbis-dev] application/ogg is a proposed Internet standard.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Jan 30 15:15:31 PST 2003

(note - this thread is being forked with different CCs on the different
threads....is that good or bad?)

If I were doing this, and wanted things done in a hurry, I'd add a sentence
something like this:

"OGG players identify the codec being used for a stream by looking at the
first packet. Normally, some initial number of bytes has a well known fixed
value (such as 0x00 'vorbis' for the Vorbis codec), and it's the
responsibility of anyone fielding a new codec to make sure it's possible to
reliably distinguish his/her codec from all other codecs in use. There is
no fixed way to detect the end of the codec-identifying marker."

One could add some words about some location (xiph.org) serving as a place
to share information, or the possibility that registration functions will
be created some time in the future...  but I think getting the registration
functions done right (whatever "right" is) will take some time, and it
would be nice to get this doc out the door Real Soon Now....

but that's my take. tastes may differ.

                         Harald