[vorbis-dev] application/ogg is a proposed Internet standard.

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de
Tue Jan 28 09:12:09 PST 2003

Tirsdag, 28 januar 2003, skrev du:

>Regarding the issue with identifier strings in the Ogg Stream content:
>mailed the IETF AVT list on this subject with the idea, that if they
>really want this to be strongly standardized and coordinated, control
of
>registration of identifier strings should be transferred to the IANA,
>the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.

I've already tried to discuss this problem here without getting much
response, since the problem is not just a theoretical one, but it
also has practical issues. When implementing an Ogg demultiplexer
for a media framework, the demultiplexer in most cases has to determine
the content type of each logical stream. E.g. an Ogg file containing
a Vorbis and a Theora track would be split by the demultiplexer into
two logical streams with the content types audio/(x-)vorbis and video/(x-
)theora. At the moment, this means that the demultiplexer must be
able to recognize the content type based on the actual content. This
is not really difficult, but it means that if the demultiplexer for
example only knows how to recognize Vorbis, the framework would not
be able to playback a FLAC stream in an Ogg container, although a
FLAC decoder is installed. A related problem is also the format of
the timestamps in the Ogg files. A demultiplexer needs quite extensive
knowledge about the actual format, before it is able to convert the
granule position into a meaningful and comparable value.

IMHO, a good solution for the content problem would simply be to
specify the actual content type as a string somewhere in the Ogg
file. I can't see an easy solution for doing this and remain backward
compatible though.

Tor