[vorbis-dev] FLAC support in ogg123

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Sat Jan 11 17:03:58 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 18:48, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:
> Stan Seibert wrote:
>
> >Installment #3 on my coding binge:
> >
> >The latest CVS version of ogg123 (in vorbis-tools) now plays FLAC and
> >Ogg FLAC files.  The FLAC support is optional, so if you don't have FLAC
> >1.0.4 and the header files, ogg123 will still build without it.
> >
> >Please give it a whirl and let me know how it works for you.
> >

> It plays my regular FLAC files quite nicely. Seeking doesn't work, but I
> really didn't expect it to yet. I haven't tried any Ogg flac's.

Unfortunately, there is no seeking interface in libOggFLAC.  Not to
mention the API makes it a little cumbersome to use the seeking
interface in some cases (like local files) and not others (http
streaming) without duplicating a lot of code.  I'm still not sure how it
would be best to handle this.

> now have ogg 1 and ogg 2. I suppose speex is next?

Yes.  :)  It's already half-done, and with what I've learned doing the
FLAC stuff, it should be close behind.

> issue, since there's already a plain command-line flac decoder?

I thought about this, but decided it would not be important.  (Of
course, that brings up the bigger issue of "Why call it oggdec, when it
only does Ogg Vorbis?")

> telling ./configure where to look for the FLAC libraries. Also, does it
> check separately for libflac and liboggflac?

Yeah, I cheaped out on the configure stuff.  I need to see about making
a generic autoconf macro for looking for a library, and allowing people
to specify its location and header location.  Right now we have
duplicates of the same basic template for Ogg, Vorbis, ao, and curl.
It's gotten kind of silly, and I should probably clean it up.

Oh, and I did forget to check for libOggFLAC.

---
Stan Seibert