[vorbis-dev] FLAC support in ogg123

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 11 17:16:41 PST 2003

--- Stan Seibert <volsung at mailsnare.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 18:48, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:
> > Stan Seibert wrote:
> >
> > >Installment #3 on my coding binge:
> > >
> > >The latest CVS version of ogg123 (in vorbis-tools) now plays FLAC
> and
> > >Ogg FLAC files.  The FLAC support is optional, so if you don't
> have FLAC
> > >1.0.4 and the header files, ogg123 will still build without it.
> > >
> > >Please give it a whirl and let me know how it works for you.
> > >

> > It plays my regular FLAC files quite nicely. Seeking doesn't work,
> but I
> > really didn't expect it to yet. I haven't tried any Ogg flac's.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no seeking interface in libOggFLAC.  Not to
> mention the API makes it a little cumbersome to use the seeking
> interface in some cases (like local files) and not others (http
> streaming) without duplicating a lot of code.

Stan, can you elucidate on this?  I'm always open to
suggestions.

Seeking will be in libOggFLAC by flac 1.0.6.

> > The automake/autoconf seems to work fine, but I don't see an option
> for
> > telling ./configure where to look for the FLAC libraries. Also,
> does it
> > check separately for libflac and liboggflac?
>
> Yeah, I cheaped out on the configure stuff.  I need to see about
> making
> a generic autoconf macro for looking for a library, and allowing
> people
> to specify its location and header location.  Right now we have
> duplicates of the same basic template for Ogg, Vorbis, ao, and curl.
> It's gotten kind of silly, and I should probably clean it up.

The flac distro should have m4 files for each of the libraries,
i.e. libFLAC.m4, libOggFLAC.m4, etc. that define AM_PATH_LIBFLAC,
AM_PATH_LIBOGGFLAC... but I don't think they've tested out that
much.  Anyway I pretty much plagiarized ogg.m4 :)

When you install they'll go in $destdir/share/aclocal I think.

Josh

Do you Yahoo!?
http://mailplus.yahoo.com