[vorbis-dev] Port of current Ogg Vorbis implemention for ARM

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Feb 12 22:43:32 PST 2003

> I've tried a stright compile but the configure script refuses to let me
> cross compile it.  libogg gives me this error message:

We don't have any configure experts, really, so our configure scripts are
somewhat problematic in complex situations like cross-compiling (autoconf
lives up to its promise of not having to redo your build system for every
target about as well as java does write-once-run-anywhere...)

Anyway, libogg and libvorbis are pretty simple to build, you should be able to
write yourself a functional Makefile very quickly (I've done this several
times for various reasons).

> > Expect it to be sloooooooow though.
>
> I'm wondering how slow it will be.  I don't need to encode at a high sample
> rate.  Something near telephone quality will suffice.

Might be possible. Just. If you don't want to do anything else with your cpu
at the same time. Though this depends on the speed of the soft-float
implementation, it may be that they're better than my mental estimates assumed.

Mike