[vorbis-dev] Vorbis encoder?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Thu Aug 14 10:25:56 PDT 2003

> I am pretty sure, that there is no generic documentation for a vorbis
> encoder available and also no high level documentation of the reference
> implementation.

Besides the "There's More Than One Way to Do It" reason Tor mentioned,
another reason for this is "understaffing" (for lack of a better word) at
xiph.org.  There are only a few programmers who really understand the ins
and outs of the encoder (and I'm not one of them), and they're too busy
working on things perceived as higher priorities (like getting vorbis
support for next generation portable music player hardware, and probably
peeling support, too).

Currently the prevailing attitude is, "The code *is* the documentation.  And
if that's not enough, then we don't have time to help you, other than
answering a few targetted questions on the mailing list or IRC."

And that's out of necessity rather than meanness.  Certainly offers for
better developer-level documentation would be gratefully accepted; there's
just not much out there.  And there's not likely to be until 1) someone
writes some, or 2) the core developers get through their TODO lists enough
for that to become a higher priority.

In particular, note that Monty is currently being paid to get Vorbis support
working on the Neuros, so that's obviously his #1 priority right now.

Please don't interpret this as "if you can't understand the code, then we
don't want you," (especially since in no capacity do I speak for xiph.org;
I'm just a long-time list reader and occassional contributor).  It's just an
icky catch-22: there's no documentation because there's no one who
understands it and has time to write it; there's no one who understands it
because there's no documentation.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"It is not possible to be 'incidentally a Christian'. The fact of