[vorbis-dev] Vorbis is low on artifacts but EQ isn't good

MiwongShaib miwongshaib at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 15:55:35 PDT 2002

I'm amazed by how low the artifacts are when encoding with Vorbis, but I found
problems (Vorbis version 1.00) on equalization (high vs midrange vs low pitches
balance) when encoding my benchmark audio track, problems which are hard to go
away even at very high bitrates.

My benchmark audio track is composed by me and you can find it here
http://www.trombettworks.com/drumswork.php
in losslessly compressed version

Please have a look at the problem (also documented in that page).

The track is composed with an Alesis S4 synthesizer which is known for its very
sharp and harsh sounds which put lossy compressors in trouble. This piece in
particular is really hard to compress with lossy encoders and I always use it
for benchmark because it generates the most evident artifacts and equalization
problems I've found.

If you wish to use the track as a benchmark yourself for Vorbis development,
feel free to do so of course: I would be glad to help. If you wish to upload it
somewhere for Vorbis purposes / codecs comparisons / etc., do that.

Gabriele

PS: If you want to contact me directly, please use the email at the site, not
this one.