[vorbis-dev] Vorbis is low on artifacts but EQ isn't good

Major A andras at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 3 22:12:29 PDT 2002

Gabriele,

> I'm amazed by how low the artifacts are when encoding with Vorbis, but I found
> problems (Vorbis version 1.00) on equalization (high vs midrange vs low pitches
> balance) when encoding my benchmark audio track, problems which are hard to go
> away even at very high bitrates.

I just reported a similar problem on the vorbis at xiph.org list
yesterday -- they could well be related. As I understand it, it has to
do with the fact that at high frequencies, oggenc doesn't separate the
two channels to save bandwidth, but this can lead to a change in
coherence and therefore a maximum +3dB change in total power in the
worst case of a 90deg phase difference in the original.

Any experts, please correct me if I'm wrong...

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras at users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/