(no subject)

Emmett Plant emmett at xiph.org
Thu Oct 10 05:26:35 PDT 2002

> I've pointed out several points where the actual libvorbis implementation
> differs from the file format specification, but there doesn't seem
> to be much interest in correcting the mistakes, although Monty did
> correct the first two I reported.

By your own reasoning, Monty has corrected problems in the spec that you
have pointed out. Therefore, there is interest in correcting mistakes
where they exist, and more importantly, there's actually been action on
it! I'd suggest that it's nearly impossible to have it both ways.

On the other hand, it's certainly possible that the published
specification contains errors that need to be addressed. It is not a
monolithic document written in stone. The only way we'll really be able
to sort those issues out is when people try to build stuff from scratch
using the published data, and come across discrepancies. You're trying to
build something, you're pointing out errors, and they're getting fixed.
Maybe it's not going as fast as you'd like, but there's definitely effort
being applied on both sides.

Emmett