[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Thu Oct 10 13:41:54 PDT 2002

On Thursday 10 October 2002 14:07, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Torsdag, 10 oktober 2002, skrev du:
> >Because the file format *is* correctly documented.
> >http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/docs.html
>
> Well, then try to implement a decoder following the file format
> specification you refer to and see what you get.
>
> I've pointed out several points where the actual libvorbis
> implementation differs from the file format specification, but
> there doesn't seem to be much interest in correcting the
> mistakes, although Monty did correct the first two I reported.

I just looked back in my archive, I assume you mean your mails dated
23rd of September. Reading these mails, I conclude that neither of
these errors change anything algorithmically. Keep in mind that the
specification of the Vorbis algorithms is just that, a
specification of algorithms. It's written to be easy to understand,
not to include all the optimisations in libvorbis. So, often,
libvorbis won't follow the spec exactly.

My guess is that Monty labelled your bug reports as not-a-bug and
went back to work on Theora. IMHO a simple mail with a short
explanation would have prevented this entire discussion.

Finally, keep in mind that Xiph.org isn't much more than a Free
Software project that happens to have a meatspace version of itself
in the form of a (non-profit!) foundation, so as to make it
possible to have a few (one I think actually, namely Monty)
developers working on it full-time, and to make it easier to have
corporate contacts. Still, resources are very very scarce, and I
think Xiph.org is doing the best it can right now.

You've contributed a bunch of fixes for the docs and I think I speak
on behalf of everyone when I say thank you. That is the kind of
thing this project needs to continue to grow and get better. Let's
hope people continue to contribute and than Vorbis will become and
remain the standard for distributing digital audio for a long time
to come.

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key