[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de
Fri Oct 11 01:51:23 PDT 2002

Torsdag, 10 oktober 2002, skrev du:

>I just looked back in my archive, I assume you mean your mails dated
>23rd of September. Reading these mails, I conclude that neither of
>these errors change anything algorithmically.

How do you get to that conclusion? One of the errors I reported made
the floor calculation fail completely, the other ones would result
in an incorrect floor.

>Keep in mind that the
>specification of the Vorbis algorithms is just that, a
>specification of algorithms. It's written to be easy to understand,
>not to include all the optimisations in libvorbis. So, often,
>libvorbis won't follow the spec exactly.

If the spec says subtract and libvorbis adds or uses different values
for the calculation, it's not an optimization. If the spec includes
steps, which are unneccesary, it won't make it easier to understand
them.

>My guess is that Monty labelled your bug reports as not-a-bug and
>went back to work on Theora. IMHO a simple mail with a short
>explanation would have prevented this entire discussion.
>
>Finally, keep in mind that Xiph.org isn't much more than a Free
>Software project that happens to have a meatspace version of itself
>in the form of a (non-profit!) foundation, so as to make it
>possible to have a few (one I think actually, namely Monty)
>developers working on it full-time, and to make it easier to have
>corporate contacts. Still, resources are very very scarce, and I
>think Xiph.org is doing the best it can right now.

If your resources are so scarce, why don't you make it just a little
bit easier for new people, who are interested in contributing to
do so instead of leaving the entry threshold so high, that people
just give up before getting anywhere?