[vorbis-dev] Re: Ogg Spec, etc.

Emmett Plant emmett at xiph.org
Thu Oct 10 06:06:55 PDT 2002

> And as long as the spec contains errors, it makes no sense at all
> as Moritz did to claim, that everyone is free to implement their
> own encoder or decoder, or as Jon did to claim that the file format
> is documented.

Actually, people have implemented perfectly valid Vorbis encoders and
decoders before the specification was even published. I wouldn't go so far
as to call other people on this list dirty liars, but I suspect that the
spec that's published is good enough for them, and they're simply
dealing with different issues than you are, and will not run into the same
errors that you'll find in the spec.

> At the moment there is de facto no way to write own software with
> support for Vorbis without using libvorbis, and there are indeed
> situations where this is not possible.

If you're having that problem, I'm sorry, but it looks like the only
solution is to just keep working on it. When you find things that don't
work, send them to Monty, and he'll do his best to make corrections when
they're necessary and he has the time. We want to make the spec the best
it can possibly be, and your help is certainly appreciated.

If these terms are not acceptable to you, I would be happy to refund your
licensing fee.

Emmett Plant
CEO, Xiph.org Foundation