[vorbis-dev] Re: Ogg Spec, etc.

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Thu Oct 10 15:29:28 PDT 2002

Emmett Plant wrote:

> > And as long as the spec contains errors, it makes no sense at all
> > as Moritz did to claim, that everyone is free to implement their
> > own encoder or decoder, or as Jon did to claim that the file format
> > is documented.
>
> Actually, people have implemented perfectly valid Vorbis encoders and
> decoders before the specification was even published. I wouldn't go so far
> as to call other people on this list dirty liars, but I suspect that the

good :)

> spec that's published is good enough for them, and they're simply
> dealing with different issues than you are, and will not run into the same
> errors that you'll find in the spec.

I didn't really read the spec yet; I find it very much unreadable, otherwise
I'd have checked it already.  *Please* make a nicely formatted .pdf of it;
I promise to fix a lot of bugs in it, then (if there still are any, of course).

Also, I find the libvorbis source a much more readable spec (but you have to
know the internals of libvorbis and Vorbis already quite well, to use it
like this).

> > At the moment there is de facto no way to write own software with

Rubbish.  Been there, done that (multiple times).  Look at rehuff, for
example; written without looking at libvorbis (nor at the spec).

> > support for Vorbis without using libvorbis, and there are indeed
> > situations where this is not possible.
>
> If you're having that problem, I'm sorry, but it looks like the only
> solution is to just keep working on it. When you find things that don't
> work, send them to Monty, and he'll do his best to make corrections when
> they're necessary and he has the time. We want to make the spec the best
> it can possibly be, and your help is certainly appreciated.
>
> If these terms are not acceptable to you, I would be happy to refund your
> licensing fee.

Whee-hee :)