[vorbis-dev] ACM codec

Dambrin Didier gol at image-line.com
Mon Nov 11 07:34:09 PST 2002

I think it's true for every new audio format. I think it's a little odd to
come up with a new file extension & format, when it can be defined in one of
the standards. If the ACM is too old & might not be adequate for everything,
DirectShow surely is (but is also more complex).

Months ago I was looking for a lossless ACM codec, & simply couldn't find
any. I wondered 'that Monkey audio compressor is great, why isn't there a
standard codec for it?'. In my opinion, an ACM or DirectShow filter is
better, but doesn't promote the format at all. Give anyone an ogg or mp3
encoded wav, he won't know/care what codec has been used, thus won't really
promote the format. I understand it might be frustrating to develop
something that, by design, is to be invisible.
So, to me, by ignoring ACM, you ARE promoting the format. If MP3 had came up
(only) as a wave codec, the term wouldn't be so popular. Creating a new
format promotes the name, supporting existing standards rather spreads the
technology.

am still of the same opinion:  by ignoring WAV and ACM (and by extension AVI
format and VFW interface when Theora is done), we are in fact limiting (or
at least delaying) 4our likely acceptance in the marketplace significantly.
Even though there may need to be some compromises, I think it would be wise
to make a WAV/AVI/ACM/VFW set of components for Vorbis and Theora available.
There are ways to do it that provide at least one-way compatibility -- ie,
you could take your AVI file and convert it to OGG, but not necessarily the
other way around.

> Failing this, we will need to work much harder to evangelize the OGG
format, and to get the toolmakers to support OGG directly through our
library interfaces.