[vorbis-dev] ACM codec

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Mon Nov 11 07:45:45 PST 2002

hmm -- you make a good point.  However note that Divx is quite popular in spite of having gone with AVI format, so your logic doesn't hold in that case.  Frankly though I sort of agree, in that Divx would have been even more popular and cause less headaches with a .DVX extension rather than AVI.

I 100% agree that the form of the codec that should be distributed for playback is OGG.  The reason to support ACM/DSHOW/VFW interfaces is more about getting inside the popular creation tools -- CD & DVD rippers for the most part, or tools that capture directly like Virtual Dub.  The players (WMP, QT, Real) at this point can all accept file format plug-ins that would directly parse OGG files.

On the creation side, we can provide an end-to-end solution for OGG creation that plugs into popular tools without the support of the toolmakers.  For instance (I'm thinking video here since that's my thing, but it applies to audio too) -- for VDub, you download a Vorbis ACM, a Theora VFW codec, and a simple drag&drop utility that converts the resulting AVI file into OGG format.

The main problem with my suggestion, and the likely reason there is so much resistance against it, is this: lazy people won't read our instructions; instead, they'll just make AVI files, send them around, and tell their friends to download the ACM/VFW components.  That would in fact lead to the problem you pose, which is that the OGG format fails to be marketed as a distinct file type.  Perhaps we can somehow make this scenario unlikely, and encourage people to use the proper tools, I dunno.  Now we're into the psychology of marketing rather than the capabilities of various API's.

- dbm