[vorbis-dev] ACM codec

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Mon Nov 11 07:16:14 PST 2002

well I've had this discussion multiple times with Monty and others, and I am still of the same opinion:  by ignoring WAV and ACM (and by extension AVI format and VFW interface when Theora is done), we are in fact limiting (or at least delaying) 4our likely acceptance in the marketplace significantly.  Even though there may need to be some compromises, I think it would be wise to make a WAV/AVI/ACM/VFW set of components for Vorbis and Theora available.  There are ways to do it that provide at least one-way compatibility -- ie, you could take your AVI file and convert it to OGG, but not necessarily the other way around.

Failing this, we will need to work much harder to evangelize the OGG format, and to get the toolmakers to support OGG directly through our library interfaces.