[vorbis-dev] www.vorbis.com still down, httpd.conf bug?

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Mar 15 00:45:20 PST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:35:41PM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> Do a host www.vorbis.com, and I bet you still get 207.181.249.5 instead
> of the new ip even though host vorbis.com will get you the new ip.  It's
> likely that your upstream provider has cached the record and is ignoring
> the TTL or ignoring the secondary name server or both.

It's not any of the above.  Someone's forgotten to update the Network
Solutions registry.

The gtld-servers are providing the old addresses:

; <<>> DiG 9.1.0 <<>> -t A www.vorbis.com @a.gtld-servers.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.vorbis.com.                        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
vorbis.com.             172800  IN      NS      MOTHERFISH.XIPH.ORG.
vorbis.com.             172800  IN      NS      SHREDDER.SNEAKYNINJA.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
MOTHERFISH.XIPH.ORG.    172800  IN      A       216.27.191.133
SHREDDER.SNEAKYNINJA.com. 172800 IN     A       207.181.249.5

;; Query time: 130 msec
;; SERVER: 192.5.6.30#53(a.gtld-servers.net)
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 15 08:33:49 2002
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 132

Since www.vorbis.com is a CNAME for shredder.sneakyninja.com, the A
record for shredder.sneakyninja.com comes not from either DNS on those
two IP addresses, but from the gtld servers.  Only.

This is reflected in your Network Solutions registry entries:

Registrant:
Patrick Mahoney (VORBIS4-DOM)
   Domain Name: VORBIS.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
      Moffitt, Jack  (JM23307)  jack at ICECAST.ORG
   Record last updated on 08-Feb-2002.
   Record expires on 08-Feb-2003.
   Record created on 08-Feb-2002.
   Database last updated on 14-Mar-2002 15:41:00 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   SHREDDER.SNEAKYNINJA.COM     207.181.249.5  <===================
   MOTHERFISH.XIPH.ORG          216.27.191.133

Until the DNS owners update their entry in the registry, people will not
be able to access www.vorbis.com.

> All the virtualhost stuff works correctly.  And the fact that *I* get
> www.vorbis.com (and others too) seems to disprove that theory anyway.

If your resolv.conf are pointing at the two new nameservers, then of
course it will work for you.  You're asking your authoritive nameservers
for the information, which don't have to go to the root and gtld servers
to get it (unlike everyone else).

--
Russell King (rmk at arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux