[vorbis-dev] Patches and questions for spec files

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:01:18 PDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Also, how come libvorbisenc and libvorbisfile made such a big jump since
> rc3 ? they went from O to 2 and 3 respectively as CURRENT.

The jump in numbers is caused by one or more backward compatible releases
followed by an incompatible release.

Example (I'm not claiming vorbis went this way):

[The triples go CURRENT:REVISION:AGE]

1) Initial release.
0:0:0  -- libfoo.so.0.0.0

2) Next release, function added to interface, so current must be incremented.
Old functions work the same way, so the lib is backward compatible.
1:0:1 -- libfoo.so.0.1.0

3) Implementations of functions improved, no interface changes.
1:1:1 -- libfoo.so.0.1.1

4) Function interfaces changed in a backward-incompatible way.
2:0:0 -- libfoo.so.2.0.0

---
Stan Seibert