[vorbis-dev] Patches and questions for spec files

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jul 18 23:40:47 PDT 2002

>c) libvorbis: I added a check to configure.in to detect a new function in
>the final libogg version, so that it complains if you don't have libogg
>1.0 installed.
>I did the same trick as for libogg wrt upgrades.  There's only one
>problem.  The so version on vorbisfile and vorbisenc has jumped from
>libvorbis*.so.0 to 2 and 3, apparently.  If this is genuinely necessary, I
>guess you should leave it as it is, but if it's not really necessary, and
>you could also get by by only changing the second so number.
>
>The reason I'm saying this is because on a standard redhat system (with or
>without ximian), a few packages REQUIRE libvorbisfile.so.0 and
>libvorbisenc.so.0, and thus at this point users having those packages are
>unable to upgrade to the new 1.0 release without problems.
>Packages in question are, among others, SDL, sox, tuxracer, xmms, and a
>few more.
>Some of these are very common, so if you can, please consider the question
>if this new libtool version is really needed in this form.
>
>I repeat : if it is not necessary, I would advise you to revert the first
>version number to 0 so that an upgrade to the new 1.0 release version is
>not too painful on your users ;)

Binary compatibility issues. We're fine on decode (I think), but not on
encode - so we had to bump this. That's my understanding, anyway.

>Of course, if it is really necessary (i don't know the specifics), then
>leave it as is.  If not, please change it before doing the release :)
>
>d) vorbis-tools: I added vcut and some man pages, nothing really special
>here.

hmm.. I think vcut was deliberately missing, but I don't mind too much
either way (vcut doesn't actually work all that well, and isn't useful
for most people anyway).

Thanks for all your help!

Michael