[vorbis-dev] 22khz strangeness?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jul 16 11:37:20 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:03:27AM -0700, HJ wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is intended or broken (but the quality rocks
> anyway so I hardly mind) --
>
> As I understand, if just a nominal bitrate is set, oggenc (or
> similar) would attempt to keep the bitrate hovering at approximately
> that value.

Let's eliminate the oggenc possibility:

rc4 and 1.0 go back to the pre-rc3 behavior of -b mapping directly to
a -q mode and not, by default, activating bitrate management.  You
only get true ABR with --managed (or if you also use one of -m/-M).

if you're using ogginfo, 'nominal' bitrate is the bitrate it was
shooting for, 'average' bitrate is the real rate the file ended up as.
If using -q or -b alone, nominal and average can diverge by quite a
bit.  If using -b --managed, they should agree very closely.

If all of this looks the way you'd expect, we can look at Winamp
a bit further.  ogginfo and chaining_example both return accurate
average bitrate numbers (oggenc reports a bit high becuase it includes
the headers in calculation)

Monty