[vorbis-dev] 22khz strangeness?

HJ inzanekaoz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 10:03:27 PDT 2002

I'm not sure if this is intended or broken (but the quality rocks
anyway so I hardly mind) --

As I understand, if just a nominal bitrate is set, oggenc (or
similar) would attempt to keep the bitrate hovering at approximately
that value.

Using Peter's latest beta 22 vorbis Plugin for WinAmp and oggenc
20020713 build, a -q6.6 22khz 16bit .wav comes to nominal 114, yet
throughout the song it averages 127 visibly; the in-file report
claims the file is 133kbit average.

What is in error here? oggenc, for coding things too high, Peter's
plugin for reporting weird again, or the file [src/dst] for being
strange?

Again, I hardly mind, but the numbers, while I understand they're
meant to be general guidelines, seem a bit off. 15-25 kbit
constant-high doesn't /seem/ to be in line with my understanding of
what rates are supposed to be in any given situation.

Re',
-HJ

Do You Yahoo!?
http://autos.yahoo.com