[vorbis-dev] Just to dispel any hopes -- RC3 really low bitrate

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Jan 6 03:24:19 PST 2002

On 2002-01-02, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > Question: Can you use -q with rates below 44100?  Jack's announcement was,
> > to me, not clear about what is limited to 44100/48000 and what isn't.
>
> Only managed bitrates are limited (-b -M -m).  VBR modes will work with
> any input, but are only tuned for 44.1kHz (like earlier releases).
>
> jack.

What does the "tuned" actually mean?  Would it be any better maybe to
low-pass the sound while leaving it at 44.1 instead of resampling?  The
encoder would then just use less space for the file, wouldn't it?  And a
44100 sound which just happends not to have any high frequencies is a
valid 44100 input for which it is supposed to be already tuned.  Or is it
wasting noticable space on frequencies allowed by the given sample rate,
even when they are absent?

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)
Happy new 2 (mod 100).