A-ha. (Was Re: [vorbis-dev] -b flag at low sample rates?)

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Fri Jan 11 10:59:31 PST 2002

> Does anyone know if this is a bug or feature?  Is there any reason -q0
> can't use low bitrates for small audiofiles?  Is there a way around
> this?  My being able to pitch ogg-vorbis for use in a game project (instead
> of mp3) is contingent on this very issue.

How small are the resulting oggs?  Remember that the codebooks are in
each file, and small files take a larger overhead penalty.

If the end result is a 25k Ogg file, you can bet that quite a bit of
that is going to be overhead.

Are you planning to decode on the fly, or are you only using vorbis for
transport?

Either way, if this is the problem, you could just put all the wavs into
one big wav and encode that.  Vorbis has sample accurate decode, so you
can easily get your effects back out.

jack.