A-ha. (Was Re: [vorbis-dev] -b flag at low sample rates?)

Mike Shapiro mike at zoesis.com
Fri Jan 11 13:10:16 PST 2002

Some of this turned moot, since I noticed when I padded the files with
silence, although the kpbs dropped dramatically, the filesize barely
changed.  Maybe the boundary conditions are very idiosyncratic with small
files.

My real question goes along these lines:  We're trying to compress 11K mono
files as much as possible.  An mp3 encoder seems to do about %25-50 better
than ogg.  Is there any better I can do than simply running with
-q0?  (Since there's no managed bitrate stuff below 44K in r3, it seems
like I'm as low as I can go right now, other than downsampling further,
which would degrade the audio quality below the threshhold of acceptibility
for this application.)

>Are you planning to decode on the fly, or are you only using vorbis for
>transport?

Just as a form of download compression.  (i.e. transport)

Thanks for all the help,