A-ha. (Was Re: [vorbis-dev] -b flag at low sample rates?)

Mike Shapiro mike at zoesis.com
Fri Jan 11 08:26:03 PST 2002

>You sure you're down-sampling properly?  I tested -q0 on the same song for
>both mono and stereo for 11.025khz, 16khz, 22.05khz, 32khz and 44.1khz.  I
>can produce my results if people are interested.  For 11.025khz mono I got
>18.4kbps and for stereo I got 35.5kbps.

So it turns out that file size seems to have something to do with it.  When
I encoded a 30 second musical excerpt at -q0, I got similar low bitrates
(e.g. 16 kbps).   However, the project I'm working on has a lot of very
short (1-3 sec or sometimes shorter) sound effects and those seem to encode
at significantly higher bitrates.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or feature?  Is there any reason -q0
can't use low bitrates for small audiofiles?  Is there a way around
this?  My being able to pitch ogg-vorbis for use in a game project (instead
of mp3) is contingent on this very issue.