[vorbis-dev] ogg123 ^C changes

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Wed Feb 6 20:19:47 PST 2002

> > Is the general consensus in favor of Ctrl-C skipping links instead
> > of files?
>
> No.  I'd really like to veto this one.  File should be the basic audio unit
> (some have used the term "track" in this discussion).  Chaining is handy if
> you want to string several audio segments together, but you should treat the
> finished product (conceptually) as one big segment.  If that's not what you
> want, you shouldn't have chained the file.

While I think I agree with this personally, why should using chained oggs as an
album management system be discouraged?

ie:

TheyMightBeGiants-All.ogg contains:
        Pink_Album.ogg contains:
                Everything_Right_Is_Wrong_Again.ogg
        Lincoln.ogg contains:
                Ana_Ng.ogg

Now, when TMBG puts out a new album, I rip and encode all the tracks, package
them up into a chained ogg, and chain that ogg onto my TMBG ogg chain (of
chained oggs).  This is why I previously asked about transporting Ogg over Ogg.

Again, I'm not sure this is a good idea.  Just curious as to why this kind of
thing should be discouraged.

Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com