[vorbis-dev] ogg123 ^C changes

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Feb 6 19:08:54 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 07:48:12PM -0700, volsung at asu.edu wrote:
> No.  I'd really like to veto this one.  File should be the basic audio unit
> (some have used the term "track" in this discussion).  Chaining is handy if
> you want to string several audio segments together, but you should treat the
> finished product (conceptually) as one big segment.  If that's not what you
> want, you shouldn't have chained the file.

Point taken. I might disagree with the archive being one big segment
(think DVD stream), but won't push the issue at this point.

> That said, I'm not against being able to jump to chain boundaries as a special
> case of the general process of *seeking*.  Being able to seek while playing a
> stream is going to further complicate the ogg123 interface and should be
> carefully considered.  But if you can seek, I can see why you might want to
> seek directly to chaining points.

The essential problem is that ogg123 really has no input interface,
just output. If we (we of course meaning you; I've definately
overcommitted myself at the moment to things far removed from Ogg) add
an input interface (which is easy now that we can avoid polling and
just have a thread reading stdin -- the necessity to poll was the main
reason I didn't go with a control interface in the very early days of
ogg123), seeking becomes a nearly trivial operation.

[I gotta work on those long-winded sentences I am so used to writing...]

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."