[vorbis-dev] Re: Vorbis as a Quicktime codec

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Mon Sep 24 03:59:45 PDT 2001

Kevin Marks wrote:

> At 4:00 PM +0200 9/22/01, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >Heh yeah.  Well, the reason I can't post the source as is, is that it uses
> >a lot of Apple example code, and I don't think the license on that allows
> >me publishing the changed code.  I might be wrong at this, of course; never
> >really saw any license.
>
> The whole point of that sample code is to get people to write QT
> components IMHO. If you have a licence that says otherwise, send me
> it and I'll get Apple lawyers to clarify it. The boilerplate that was
> put on my last lot of sample code to make it official certainly said
> you could redistribute it as source:

I know that the _intent_ is just that, but some of the code I have just
says "copyright 19xx Apple", which doesn't really help.  Fortunately, the
code I really used (the Electric Image stuff) has a very nice big license
thingy.  And it recently was updated for MacOSX as well.  Hurray!  Just
what the doctor ordered.

> >For future full-spec Ogg streams, we will need to write a mediahandler, I'm
> >afraid; just like mpeg system streams have a custom mediahandler, iirc.
> >I haven't found any documentation on those, but that might be just me.
>
> There is some, but it is a bit old, and has some misleading bits in it.

I'll look for it, and will try to have some fun with it.

A general note about the API documentation: I found a lot of it confusing
at first, but after I read the QT file format doc, everything started to
make sense :-)

Segher