[vorbis-dev] Re: Vorbis as a Quicktime codec

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Mon Sep 24 02:15:56 PDT 2001

At 4:00 PM +0200 9/22/01, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>Heh yeah.  Well, the reason I can't post the source as is, is that it uses
>a lot of Apple example code, and I don't think the license on that allows
>me publishing the changed code.  I might be wrong at this, of course; never
>really saw any license.

The whole point of that sample code is to get people to write QT
components IMHO. If you have a licence that says otherwise, send me
it and I'll get Apple lawyers to clarify it. The boilerplate that was
put on my last lot of sample code to make it official certainly said
you could redistribute it as source:

>In consideration of your agreement to abide by the following terms,
>and subject
>to these terms, Apple grants you a personal, non-exclusive license,
>under Apple's
>copyrights in this original Apple software (the "Apple Software"), to use,
>reproduce, modify and redistribute the Apple Software, with or without
>modifications, in source and/or binary forms; provided that if you
>redistribute
>the Apple Software in its entirety and without modifications, you must retain
>this notice and the following text and disclaimers in all such
>redistributions of
>the Apple Software.  Neither the name, trademarks, service marks or logos of
>Apple Computer, Inc. may be used to endorse or promote products
>derived from the
>Apple Software without specific prior written permission from Apple.
>Except as
>expressly stated in this notice, no other rights or licenses,
>express or implied,
>are granted by Apple herein, including but not limited to any patent
>rights that
>may be infringed by your derivative works or by other works in which the Apple
>Software may be incorporated.

reproduce, modify and redistribute in source or binary forms away.

>  > If there are things that QuickTime needs to change to better support
>>  Vorbis, you're far more likely to get those changes if you submit bug
>>  reports with source.
>
>For the current degenerate Vorbis-only streams, I'm ok on decode side;
>although having the ability to say that one "compressed" sample outputs
>0 pcm samples (AddMediaSampleRef with a time of 0) would be nice; but I
>can hack around it.
>
>For future full-spec Ogg streams, we will need to write a mediahandler, I'm
>afraid; just like mpeg system streams have a custom mediahandler, iirc.
>I haven't found any documentation on those, but that might be just me.

There is some, but it is a bit old, and has some misleading bits in it.