[vorbis-dev] [Newbie] getting up to speed

Chris Wolf cwolf at starclass.com
Tue Sep 25 13:08:29 PDT 2001

On 9/25/2001 at 12:46 PM Brian Hook wrote:

>I've just started looking into using Ogg Vorbis for our streaming audio
>needs.  We're doing games for MacOS, OS X and Win32.
>
>So far, after wading through the docs and sample code, I think I have a
>reasonably solid idea of how it all works.  Now some questions:
>
>- currently my code is architected with a separate audio thread
>responsible for decoding chunks of compressed audio on demand ("Demand"
>== notification from the audio layer that it will need new data fairly
>soon, e.g. using notification handles in DirectSound).  Does this seem
>reasonable?

That's pretty much what I've seen done.

>- The prepackaged Win32 libs are compiled with "multithreaded DLLs"
>instead of static libs.  Is it fairly trivial to get the latest tarball
>and recompile for static linkage of the CRT DLLs?

You can try it, but I've found that the debug version of that code will crash, unless
that code is compiled for, and linked with, the DLL version of the runtime.  Also
it appears that certain routines are missing from the static debug runtime, for
example "strchr".  This was with MSVC, v6 sp5

The release versions of those static libaraies are configured for static linking of
the runtime and appear to work.