[vorbis-dev] libvorbisrtp-0.1

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Thu Oct 18 22:12:19 PDT 2001

>At 11:32 PM -0400 10/18/01, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>>However, last time we checked, RTSP in Quicktime was hard wired
>>to use unicast only. This presents a problem receiving
>>RTP multicast.
>
>I think the Server will only send unicast, but the client will
>receive multicast. It certainly will if you open the SDP file
>directly.

Both Real and QT will open SDP files and receive
multicasts just fine. We have tried to get QT to
receive our multicasts using RTSP, but without success.
It seems that the QT switches to unicast when
it does the RTSP negotiation; we talked to Dave Singer
of Apple QT development and were basically
told it's not a bug it's a feature.

>>BTW, Real also does RTP streaming, and it's more widely
>>distributed that QT.
>
>I would dispute both points. I've heard it claimed that Real does RTP
>streaming, but I haven't seen it in a shipping client - the
>RealPlayer wants to use 'rdp'.
>
>  If you can point a RealPlayer client at a QTSS server or vic or rat
>or whatever and get a stream I'd like to know how - I spent a fair
>bit of time asking Real people about this a while ago, and they were
>very closed-mouth about it, probably because their revenue comes from
>selling servers.

The following sdp suffices to get one of our streams :

n=242903359 1063877134 1003466927 224.2.127.254 9875 255 trusted none none
noauth noenc notset notset
k=
v=0
o=- 10000000 10000 IN IP4 63.105.122.6
s=On-The-I.com Channel-1 160kbs MP3 Audio
i=MP3 audio - iptv compatible
u=http://www.on-the-i.com/listen
e=info at on-the-i.com
p=703-293-9601
t=3181579002 3255555622
a=type:broadcast
a=tool:msad v0.5
m=audio 7000 RTP/AVP 14
c=IN IP4 233.64.133.10/255

All you have to do is to save it as a file and open
in real player. This works for sure - I use it all the
time on my Macintosh, and we have tested it
on Linux, OS 9, and various Windows.

The trouble with Real from our viewpoint is that it
screws up the RTCP RR feedback.

>As for distribution, no-one seems to have good independent figures on this.

Look, I wasn't trying to start a religious war. I prefer Quicktime to Real.
I know good people at both companies.
I have "issues" with both. I was just objecting to the
"only" appellation being applied to QT in this context -
both are pretty
ubiqutous.

Regards
Marshall

>  I suspect that anyone at all interested in Web media will have all 3
>big players, and an MP3 player or two as well. Other people may well
>have had one of the players installed  by the OS or AOL or whatever,
>but they shoudln't be counted.

Marshall Eubanks

tme at 21rst-century.com