[vorbis-dev] libvorbisrtp-0.1

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Thu Oct 18 22:12:37 PDT 2001

On Thursday, October 18, 2001, at 09:49 PM, Jack Moffitt wrote:

>> I would dispute both points. I've heard it claimed that Real does RTP
>> streaming, but I haven't seen it in a shipping client - the
>> RealPlayer wants to use 'rdp'.
>
> Isn't it grand?  We have these nifty standards, but because we are all
> fighting with codecs they are all useless.
>
> And even if we weren't fighting over codecs, two of the biggest players
> still can't interoperate. :)

I'm not following this closely any more. I did go to an RTP plugfest
with Real well over a year ago, which is when they first made their
server SEND RTP.

> rdp is Real's own proprietary fun.  They encourage developers to use
> this indirectly, but making using RTP harder.  If you use RTP you have
> to start implementing a lot of other code inside their SDK.
>
> Of course, considering that a RealPlayer plugin was a one-week project
> to get a real plugin working (not a hack), that extra bit of work
> doesn't seem so bad compared to what you have to do in the QT framework.
> Are we up to 4 people now and 3-4 implemenations and still not one
> releasable after months? :)

Now now, the problem is that as QT provide a fair bit more functionality
than Real does (exporting,   file formats, streams, compressing etc), so
to integrate properly is more work. I'm trying to help where I can.

> I think real uses RTP.  I dont' think they follow the standard.  Or if
> they are following the standard, there's some ambiguity they rely on.  I
> had some discussions about this with Rob Lanphier.  He's almost very
> interested in interop, since he is their standards guy.

I think the engineers are interested in interop, but being able to
receive streams from the Open Source QTSS server in Real Player easily
would impact their bottom line too much for them to make it easy. I may
be wrong.

> I remember him mentioning that the RTP over TCP wasn't really well
> defined, and that may be the cause of the problem.  Who knows.

RTP over TCP is just silly. We do it too for firewall reasons, but why
not just send the raw data at that point?

> You can bet that when I start working on RTP for icecast, I'll be
> beating you all over the head to make sure we all interoperate.  For
> now, it's much easier for everyone to just to HTTP, which works quite
> well, and interoperates almost universally.

Indeed.

> Is QT going to be supporting SMIL anytime?  Or do they already?

Since QT 4.1, over 18 months ago.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/qtsmil.html
http://www.streamingmediaworld.com/smil/tutor/qt4smil/

The problem with SMIL is the codec/file format problem again. MP3 &
JPEGs or GIFs should work in with QT and Real, any more severe codecs
won't.