[vorbis-dev] libvorbisrtp-0.1

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Thu Oct 18 10:06:44 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:52:14AM -0400, Erik Kruus wrote:
> alpha.  (that about sums it up)
>
> Will encode and play back via an sdp file and multicast on one
> computer (over the net if you transfer the sdp file over by hand).

Awesome. Still having trouble getting it to work but that doesn't
matter, it looks cool anyway. Probably because I don't have multicast
support.

> src/rtenc3 and src/rtdec3 are in the style of encoder/decoder_example
>
> ...so this means you MUST edit it them to suit your system.  For example,
> I specify my rtenc3 to multicast just on eth1 (to avoid pissing off
> my cable supplier on eth0), and receive on eth0 on another box
> running rtdec3.  Usually I just encode and decode on one box.
> My dual celeron 466 does this if I keep down other activity.

I have a lightweight config file module from ogg123 if you want a
quick config interface for the server; it could also be used for SDP
file parsing from the looks of things, but with all the hardcoded
things in the streamer it would be worth the minimal effort to add it
at least for the URLs, IPs, and interfaces.

> Code is built like a brick shit-house, asserts all over the place
> because I'm paranoid that I'll forget something subtle during
> any early-stage code production.  Lots of XXX paranoia comments
> still to verify/clean up too.  Edit rtvorb.h to enable debug code

Yes, plenty of those. But you're a better programmer than I so I won't
try to fix them. :)

> Soon to be added:  link with libcurl to get .sdp or codebooks
> via http.  Right now it just attemps fopen.  (at some point,
> probably build in a 'standard' set of codebooks into the player,
> so normal folks don't have to have the decoder do anything special
> to retrieve codebooks.  Codebook packets are checked by md5 sum)

Curl's pretty easy, as you've probably noticed already. Loading common
codebooks (and identifying them by md5sum) would be a nice way to save
a few kilobytes.

Good luck with further work! I hope to use some of what you come up
with for ogg123 streaming support, and what exists looks promising.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>