[vorbis-dev] Mac player; low bitrates; (was Re: vorbis players (or lack of) for mac)

rillian rillian at telus.net
Tue Oct 30 12:49:53 PST 2001

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 06:25 , Elifarley C.Coelho wrote:

> Should I send you the appropriate files?

That would work.

> Hmm.. don't you like the quality of the QDesign Music 2 codec ? It's
> impressive how it can encode in madly low bitrates and yet sound quite
> recognizable (try to encode a tune at only 8 kbits/s with it).

Yes it remains *recognizable* at ridiculously low bitrate, which is what
you need to send postage-stamp video over a POTS modem. Unfortunately,
it doesn't get much better if you throw more bits at it. So at broadband
bitrates it sounds terrible compared to real or windowsmedia.

> BTW, when will vorbis be able to surpass QDesign Music 2 at this low
> bitrate ?

No idea. It does sounds miles better at 32 kbps. I'd not heard of anyone
squeezing it down to 8.

  -r