[vorbis-dev] equalization

Beni Cherniavsky scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Thu May 24 01:05:26 PDT 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Robert Voigt wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 May 2001 00:03, rodolfo.borges at mail.com wrote:
> > what about adding equalization in the decoder?
> > it makes sense doing it internally because the sound is stored
> > in the frequency domain, like mp3, right?
>
> I think it's possible, but if the decoder is a media player that plays all
> kinds of formats including wav and audio CD you still need to implement the
> usual digital filters for equalization. For Vorbis you'd save some CPU
> cycles. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.
> I once had the idea that I could use the frequency domain data of Vorbis for
> visualization. This way I could save the CPU cycles for the FFT. This makes a
> little more sense than using it for equalization, because those fancy
> visualizations need a lot of CPU and a little more power would give some
> extra fps. Moreover, I could make a certain event happen in the visualization
> whenever there's a short block, assuming that the short block was triggered
> by an attack (or maybe a beat?). Perhaps those sounds that trigger short
> blocks make you feel like jumping or something, and it would be nice to
> express this in the visualization.
> Can anyone comment on this please?

The winamp plugin interface provides for the plugin doing EQ and/or
supplying spectrum data.

Segher says MDCT is very different from FFT -- is it good enough to
cheaply produce vis data as a side effect of vorbis decoding?

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)

10001110111100111100001001010 m/s